David Atkins was born in Greenwich, London in 1964. He studied painting at St Martins School of Art, London and Winchester School of Art gaining a 1st Class Honours Degree in painting.
After leaving college he returned to London, where he taught part time and continued painting. He exhibits regularly throughout the UK and has been awarded numerous prizes including the Horan prize for Painting at the NEAC Exhibition in London and the Façade International Prize for Painting at the Discerning Eye Exhibition in London. He was recently awarded the Baltic Exchange Prize 2018 for painting in the RMSA Exhibition at the Mall Galleries London.
He now lives and works in Dorset.
‘David Atkins has established himself as an evocative painter of landscapes and, particularly, of the urban scene. His is a broad brush, the sweep and colour of it bold and clear, and he brings to the city the eye for transitory light and temperature and atmosphere that is more usually applied to rural landscape. With him we explore cities, not always in the bright clear Kodak light of the Canaletto imitator, but at dawn and sunset and often in the damp truth of autumn and the tenebrous contrasts of the street at night; his is the sometimes sceptical eye of the honest observer, seeing London and Dublin, New York and Barcelona, as we have all experienced them’.
Brian Sewell (1931-2015), Art Critic
- A Cloudy Day on the Beach Oil on board 24 x 20 £2,800
- Summer's Day on the Beach Oil on board 24 x 20 £2,800
- Early Summer on Dartmoor Oil on board 22 x 18 £2,500
- Morning Light, Old Harry Rocks Dorset Oil on board 18 x 16 £2,150
- A Breezy Summer's Day on the Beach Oil on board 32 x 24. £3,850
- Morning Light in Autumn Oil on board. 34 x 28. ££4,495
- Autumn Day at Durdle Door Oil on board 32 x 24 £3,850