David Atkins was born in Greenwich, London in 1964. He studied painting at St Martins School of Art, London and at Winchester School of Art, gaining a 1st Class Honours Degree in painting.
He exhibits regularly throughout the UK and has been awarded numerous prizes including the Horan Prize for Painting at the NEAC Exhibition in London, the Facade International Prize for Painting at the Discerning Eye exhibition and the Baltic Exchange Prize 2018 for Painting at the RMSA Exhibition at the Mall Galleries. These are new works from a recent visit to Italy.
"David Atkins has established himself as an evocative painter of landscapes and, particularly, the urban scene. His is a broad brush, the seep and colour of it bold and clear, and he brings to the city the eye for transitory light and temperature and atmosphere that is more usually applied to rural landscape. His is the sometimes sceptical eye of the honest observer, seeing London or Dublin, New York or Barcelona, as we have all experienced them"
Brian Sewell (1931-2015) Art Critic
- Rainy Days at Orta, Italy Oil on canvas. 22 x 20. £2,750
- Late in the Day, Orta, Italy Oil on canvas. 16 x 14 £1,700
- The View to Pella in the Autumn VI Oil on canvas 16 x 14 £1,700
- Market Day Orta, Italy Oil on canvas. 16 x 14. £1,700
- Morning Coffee in the Piazza Out, Italy Oil on canvas 20 x 16. £2,300